You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: My Job Interview Experiences

Here is a water poundering puzzle- Asked by an Interviwer to Me

The Question is-

If i give you a 5 liter pot and a 3 liter pot, and infinite liters of water than how would you calculate exact 4 liters?
    Answer:

Fill the 3-liter pot and pour it into the empty 5-liter pot.
    Fill the 3-liter pot again, and pour enough to fill 5-liter pot. This leaves exactly 1 liter in the 3-liter pot.
    Empty the 5-liter pot; pour the remaining 1 liter from the 3-liter pot into the 5-liter pot.
    Fill the 3-liter pot and pour it into the 5-liter pot. The 5-liter pot now has exactly 4 liters.

Here is another way to do it*

Fill the 5-liter pot and pour water from it into the 3-liter pot until it is full.
    This leaves 2 liters in the 5-liter pot.
    Empty the 3-liter pot and pour the 2 liters of water from the 5-liter pot into the 3-liter pot.
    Fill the 5-liter pot again.
    Fill the 3-liter pot from the 5-liter pot. Since the 3-liter pot had 2 liters of water, only one liter is transferred leaving exactly 4 liters of water in the 5-liter pot.
    Hope it helps

This is a very good and trickish question that need someone very intelligent to answer. I will support the response of kumar above 'Fill the 3-liter pot and pour it into the empty 5-liter pot.
    Fill the 3-liter pot again, and pour enough to fill 5-liter pot. This leaves exactly 1 liter in the 3-liter pot.
    Empty the 5-liter pot; pour the remaining 1 liter from the 3-liter pot into the 5-liter pot.
    Fill the 3-liter pot and pour it into the 5-liter pot. The 5-liter pot now has exactly 4 liters.'

fill up 5 l pot . pour into 7 L pot leaves 2 empty. fill up 5 L pot and pour again ito 7 L, but only two will go in. leaving 3 in the 5 pot.dump the 7L pot. pour the 3 from the 5L pot into the empty 7L. fill the 5L then fill the 7 L with it, this will give you, 1 in the 5L pot. emtyp the 7L pot, pour the 1 L from the 5L pot into the empty 7 pot. refill 5 L pot and pour it into the 7L pot. There should now be 6 liters in the 7 Liter pot.

What is the result of this thread? I think the author should bring up the answer to this puzzle.

• Sign In to post your comments